Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Collaborations: Putting Your Career In Second Gear

Many "one-man bands" (which includes songwriters and producers) often have this attitude: "I do EVERYTHING in my music and I'm gonna make it ON MY OWN!"

Perhaps it's something we all share as humans, this sense of (false) pride and some kind of a Quixotic romantic notion that this is "the way" to do it.

Unfortunately, not only does it not square off with reality, it's a deeply flawed sentiment and it's one which can positively stop your career dead in its tracks before it can ever get off the ground.
I used to think the same way. Initially, you couldn't get me to collaborate with anyone. If asked, I would flat-out refuse. In this manner I've missed some awesome opportunities. Some where my would-be collaborators went on to bigger and better things, and others where perhaps my influence would have helped them.

With time, however, and way too late, I finally embraced the concept. And as soon as I did, I didn't just get to work with people who were "as good as" or "worse than" me. Pretty soon, I was invited to collaborate with "better" people. Some of them household names. And here's an interesting insight: I've learned LOTS from EACH of these types of collaborators. The "better ones" taught me plenty, but so did my "peers" as well as my "students."

Today, I'm fully converted. I believe a good collaboration can bring out the best in each artist involved. In fact, I can't even think of an example of ANY successful artist, writer or producer - anyone - who did it all alone. They all had collaborators!

Think about it. Would John and Paul "make it" without Ringo and George? Would either Britney Spears or Max Martin get on the map without each other? Would Jagger work without Richards?
There's time to work alone, and there's time to work with people. Make sure that in your artistic development schedule you have both. It's easier for bands. They're, by default, a "collaborative artist." But even they can use outside influences! Invite people to your sessions if only to be your "listeners."

Are "all" collaborations good?

Well, this very much depends on everyone's personality, but none more so than yours! If you're open-minded and sufficiently creative, you'll benefit from ANY kind of collaboration. I remember writing songs for a project involving little kids. At first I locked myself away and wrote and wrote, and then I had them perform it. Later, I decided to write in front of them - cold and on the spot. This completely transformed my mindset. I really had the hand on the pulse there, and the music I wrote was much more in tune with my young collaborators. Everybody (including me) enjoyed the whole experience much more as a result! I also worked with "peers" - people who were pretty much as good as I was. I usually managed to control these collaborations in such a way that they didn't become an uhealthy competition and everybody benefited from each other's insights and ideas. And finally, I also worked with people who were much better than me. Not only did that teach me stuff that would have taken me years to figure out by myself, but it also opened me to further similar collaborations!

So, how do you select whom to collaborate with?

I'd say that at first just try it with "anyone" who is equally passionate about music, and who's readily available to work with you. If possible, try to select people who complement you. Perhaps you're a great songwriter but not a great drum arranger? Or maybe you're a great arranger but don't know how to write "killer top-lines?" If you're objective about your limitations and not hung up about not being the best in "everything" you will soon be able to form killer collabs. And don't limit yourself to only one or two collaborators!

One of our closest friends and a long-time collaborator, Rob Davis, has gone on to become one of the world's most respected songwriters after he's teamed up with Kathy Dennis (whose solo efforts were also going nowhere fast at the time).

Collaborations can be magic. But they can only happen if you're open to them!

LISTEN TO: 226-Q/Wednesday Jun 10, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment